Welcome to my E-journal

I invite you to be part of my journey which has its beginnings in the 1960s in Germany.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

You Tube

In this GDLT I am focusing on primary teaching. However, since I love teaching Strings Instrumental Music, and since I will most likely continue to do so once I have completed my diploma, I have included this video of Pachabel's Canon in D, a well-known piece of music often played at weddings and funerals.



I would play this version to string students at a high school, talk about period instruments and ask the students to listen and see if they can tell the difference between each violinist's part, and if they can figure out what the cellist plays. Following this introduction the students would learn to play the Canon in D.

Instrumental music is very hands-on at any time. This exercise would add another dimension in that students get to listen to and see professionals play on period instruments, and they would learn a little about the Baroque period.

There are many other ways You Tube videos can be used in schools e.g. they can be embedded into blogs and wikis. Apart from that there are countless You Tube videos on many topics, and many particular events or phenomena can be viewed, such as a solar or lunar eclipse in a space unit. I have included a You Tube video showing the total solar eclipse from the 1st of August, 2009, into my wiki. The URL for my wiki can be found in the posting entitled 'Blogs, Wikis and Vokis', posted 04.04.10.

No comments:

Post a Comment